Who We Are
Reclaim Our Schools LA is a diverse coalition of parents, families, students, educators, civil rights groups, school staff, and community organizations working to improve access, advance opportunities and ensure racial justice in public education for all students in Los Angeles. We envision every public school to be the heart of the community. Along with prominent academics, researchers, and public school leaders, we work with LAUSD to transform our neighborhood schools into Community Schools. The Community Schooling approach combines community partnerships and services with parent, teacher, and student involvement. It includes restorative justice practices, the elimination of school police, reciprocal education pedagogy, and shared leadership to dramatically expand educational opportunities for our students. Our coalition is working with LAUSD to adopt a district-wide strategy that puts us on a path to make each and every neighborhood public school a great school.
What We Stand for
- Fully-funded, fully-staffed public education for all students, including support for neighborhood community schools.
- Racial justice in LAUSD that undoes historic, and current, impacts of systemic racism, supports Black student achievement, eliminates school police, and creates positive supports for students, families and educators based upon restorative practices.
- A democratic process and oversight for all schools that receive public funding to ensure student success, educator support, and parental/family involvement that includes each participant having a voice in the process.
- Uplifting high standards and expectations for students and educators, allowing them to fully participate in their educational lives.
- Advocating for highest-need students to receive the resources and opportunities they need, which are also tailored to their community’s needs.
- Equally excellent educational opportunities and access for students of all races, socioeconomic backgrounds, geographic areas, and special needs through innovation and collaborative learning.